In Memoriam
Requiescat in Pace Father Martin I. Rock, SJ

Father Martin Irwin Rock, SJ, longtime pastor of Jesuit parishes in Ogden, Utah and elsewhere, entered into God's peace October 9 at Sacred Heart Jesuit Center, Los Gatos. He was 89 and had been a member of the Society of Jesus for 72 years, 58 as a priest.

Father Rock was born in San Francisco December 15, 1927, the son of Peter and Gertrude Rock. He graduated from Bellarmine College Prep, San Jose, and, along with his brother, Leo, entered the Jesuit Novitiate at Los Gatos on August 14, 1945. His training took him from Los Gatos to Gonzaga University for philosophical studies, and to Alma College, Los Gatos, for theological studies. He was ordained a priest in San Francisco on June 12, 1959.

His ministry was spent in three Jesuit high schools and in five parishes throughout the West. Prior to ordination, he taught English at Bellarmine Prep, San Jose, 1953-56, and later served as chaplain at Brophy College Prep, 1962-65, teacher of English at Jesuit High School, Sacramento, 1965-67, and religion teacher and counselor at Bellarmine, 1970-74.

Father Rock spent 32 years in Jesuit parish ministry in Sacramento, Phoenix, Santa Clara, and Ogden, as well as churches in Incline Village, Nev., and Bagdad, Ariz. He was pastor of St. Clare's Church, Santa Clara, 1974-84, and at St. Mary's, Ogden, 1993-2010. At St. Mary's, he oversaw the building of a new church complex. His parish years were also noted for the presence of a succession of his faithful beagle-mix dogs, all of which were named "Mike."

He retired from parish ministry in 2010 and resided at Sacred Heart Jesuit Center, Los Gatos, with an extended assignment as chaplain at St. Joseph's Health and Retirement Center, Ojai, Calif. His last years at Los Gatos were spent in a ministry of prayer, a familiar figure in the garden enjoying his pipe. Father Rock was predeceased by his six siblings.

Mass of Christian Burial will take place October 21, 10:00 a.m. at Sacred Heart Jesuit Center, 300 College Avenue, Los Gatos, with burial immediately after at Santa Clara Mission Cemetery, 490 Lincoln Street, Santa Clara.

Donations in memory of Father Rock may be made to the Jesuits West Province of the Society of Jesus, P.O. Box 68, Los Gatos, CA 95031-0068, or through the Province's secure donation site at www.jesuitswest.org/donations online.





Recent News

May 21, 2019 — A new photo book, “Walking in Grace,” by Alison Fogg Carlson, commemorates 30 years of Homeboy Industries, founded by Fr. Greg Boyle, SJ.

May 16, 2019 — On May 11, Gregory Celio, SJ, of Jesuits West was ordained to the diaconate at St. Paul’s Basilica in Toronto.

May 8, 2019 — Working through shareholder activism, in partnership with investors and members of the Interfaith Center on Corporate Responsibility, Jesuits West has helped pass a shareholder resolution to hold GEO Group, one of the largest prison and detention center operators in the country, accountable for human rights and treatment of detainees.

April 30, 2019 — You are invited to use the attached prayer, Mary, the Mother of God, in your personal reflections and other appropriate gatherings. Kindly share with friends.

April 29, 2019 — Fr. James Schall, SJ, died Wednesday, April 17, 2019 at 12:50pm at Sacred Heart Jesuit Center in Los Gatos, California.

April 22, 2019 — Provincial Scott Santarosa, SJ, assisted by Sacred Heart Jesuit Center Acting Superior Fr. Dick Case, SJ, concelebrant, Fr. Sam Bellino, SJ, and MC, Fr, John Mossi, SJ, celebrated the beginning of Holy Week with the Palm Sunday Liturgy.

April 8, 2019 — Fr. Arturo Sosa, SJ, Superior General of the Society of Jesus, has appointed Fr. Michael C. Gilson, SJ, to serve as Socius of the Jesuits West Province effective August 1, 2019.

view all news

Search news

Publications

Jesuits West Magazine - Spring 2019

Mission Magazine - Fall 2018

Mission Magazine - Spring 2018


Companions
Fall, 2018

Companions
Summer, 2018

Companions
Fall, 2017


Jesuit Retreat Center of Los Altos
The Jesuit Retreat Center of Los Altos has offered prayerful solitude and inspiring vistas to those seeking spiritual rejuvenation since 1925.